TGIF. That was the sentiment of all the students presenting at last night's National Graduate Showcase Presented by Target and Supported by Fashion Journal. After years of designing, creating, refining and perfecting their grad collections, the 12 student finalists finally presented their hard work to a packed-out room at VAMFF. It was not unlike a tin of very well dressed sardines.
It was a bit of a proud Mama moment for us, too. We've been working closely with each of the finalists' collections, following their journeys and debriefing with each designer before the show.
Accordingly, we couldn't possibly review this runway. We are totally and utterly biased and it would be an entirely glowing review.
But despite out proximity to the designers and their work, we were still blown away. These students' ability to magnify and exaggerate design elements and trends established their work as more than just clothes. Each collection became an analysis and personal commentary on contemporary fashion and design today.
We could keep gushing (like, for ages), but we won't. Instead check it all out above and keep an eye out for these names. These kids are going to do great things:
- Alexandra Lane by Alexandra Lane, University Of Technology Sydney
- Leila by Alice Kennedy, RMIT
- A Thora by Anna Thora Lindell, RMIT
- Ben Lalic by Ben Lalic, University Of Technology Sydney
- Cherry Luk by Cherry Luk, University Of Technology Sydney
- HALUMINOUS by Hannah Kim, University Of Technology Sydney
- Harlem by James Greenway, Whitehouse Institute of Design
- Lauren Elise Trend by Lauren Elise Trend, RMIT
- Mij Kim by Liz (Mij) Kim, University Of Technology Sydney
- Panayota Theodore by Panayota Theodore, University Of Technology Sydney
- CHURCHOFROSE by Rose Church, Curtin University
- Stephanie Frig by Stephanie Frig, University Of Technology Sydney